228b rattle

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
hiddenhider
Colemanaholic

228b rattle

Post by hiddenhider »

So my 228b has a rattle when running. Now somewhere way back in the back of my mind I remember something about the eccentric block sometimes making a rattle; it runs fine and has a good gurgle at a quarter turn.

I guess I should pull it down and see what’s going on; any ideas on what to look for?
Thanks, John

Arlington, TX home of the carbon boot print.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 228b rattle

Post by zoomkat »

"I guess I should pull it down and see what’s going on; any ideas on what to look for?"

I'd try moving the cleaning lever a little and see if the noise changed. A rattle might be the pricker rod vibrating. Some have suggested rotating the generator some, but if it is running ok, then taking it apart might introduce new issues.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I think you're referring to the classic, iconic 220/228B noise. Some have described it as "slurping", but to me, it sounds more like a hot engine cooling down after a long climb or an old steam regulator warming up.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
hiddenhider
Colemanaholic

Post by hiddenhider »

It ran fine two days ago with no noise at all, ticks just enough that the uninitiated would think there was something wrong with the audio. 🤣
Thanks, John

Arlington, TX home of the carbon boot print.