model 400, 07/80 leak resolved?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

model 400, 07/80 leak resolved?

Post by hikerduane »

The good shape 400 I picked up on my recent trip worked fine the few times I used it, but lost pressure when shut down and/or needed more pumps in use. I tested in water today and verified or eliminated other areas that could leak and noticed briefly some bubbles originating under the burner, the valve not shutting off fuel was my guess, worked the valve a few times and the bubbles quit. It seems to be holding pressure now, maybe some debris in the fuel pickup tube? I'm not familiar with these, but read they all have a shraeder valve in the pickup, whether brass or plastic pickup. To cover bases, I found some valves on OCP and placed a order. My reasoning sound?
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: model 400, 07/80 leak resolved?

Post by zoomkat »

"My reasoning sound?"

Well, typically with the tank pressurized and fuel in the tank, If the valve was leaking, I would suspect some fuel leaking out and not air bubbles. Could be that the rubber poppit in the Schrader core has become stiff/compressed and just needs to be exercised some.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I emptied the fount before testing in water, similar procedure as testing small stoves for leaks.
My thought also about valve being shut for a long time.
Reminds me, I passed on a Coleman CL-2 lantern also on my recent Oregon trip besides all the other gpa's I saw.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Held pressure o/n, line plugged up when I opened the valve, then worked valve, cleared that out. Opened fuel cap, still great pressure. :)
Duane
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

These are Schrader valve stoves as you suspected. I've had a 400, 400A and 3024 which needed new Schrader valves. I haven't seen any leak and then stop leaking so, that's a bit surprising. The early 400s like yours have a brass F/A tube which has a larger fuel opening than the plastic tubes, so I guess it's possible something got stuck and then cleared.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

OCP seems to have quite a stock of the newer plastic pickups on the valve, so if further issues I'm covered. Fount looked clean last week when I first added fuel, nothing shook out when I emptied the fount a few times.
Duane
HercL4D2
Colemanaholic

Post by HercL4D2 »

The brown 400 stoves came with a brass pickup tube and were prone to failure. I suspect the pickup tube expanded where the Schrader contacted the sealing surface or the gasket was prone to failure. Replacing the Schrader failed possibly due to the different diameters of newer Schrader valves. This valve assembly will work and the eyelet can be removed or left in place. This eyelet will not interfere with the operation of the valve contacting the internal parts of the generator.
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/select- ... y-C30.html
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Nice find on the 400 Duane!

I suspect your schrader was just sticky from non use, but good that its now working and also good that you have replacements on the way.

These 400's are powerhouse stoves, and simmer nice as well, so a really nice find. I think I like them better than the 502's The 500 is more stable and has a larger grate, but the 400 actually has more BTU's surprisingly.

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

It does seem to have a big thirst.
Duane