Repairing a vent stud hole.

Instructions and How-to from members. Safety posts.
BCosby

Post by BCosby »

On my Quick-lite lantern the previous owner must have tried to do a restoration. Lucky for me, they gave up before they completely destroyed it. Apparently they removed the vent stud and wrecked the threads in the process. They then just screwed a plain panhead screw thru the vent into the wallowed out hole left in the top of the burner. I would hate to see the melted results if they got it to light off. It would have had gas shooting out the top of the burner.

My question is: Has anyone tried to repair the threads on the top? I have some poprivet type thread repair stuff at work. I have thought about trying to braze the hole shut and rethread the hole. Any ideas??
"Exceptional Engineering is easily outdone by the Exceptional Idiot"
-Looking for any 6/67-
Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

Try and braze and re tap or perhaps a Heli Coil of the same threads could be inserted. I hope this helps
Jan

Mitakiuye Oyasin " All My Relations"
Kevin
Colemanaholic

Post by Kevin »

I have tapped a few out to clean up the threads but that's all they needed. The threads weren't trashed like yours. Helli Coil inserts would be great if you can find the right fine thread and you need a special tap I think. A braze job and re-tap should work if your careful.

Kevin
BCosby

Post by BCosby »

I think I came up with a fix. I was trying to find the right size of brass rod to thread a plug from. It's really hard to find brass bolts, no one has them. When I started looking in the brass water fittings. I got a 1/8 NPT x 1/8 tube adapter fitting. I think I'll drill and tap it to 1/8" NPT and screw the tube adapter in till its snug. Then grind off the tube fitting end. Then rethread to the correct size for the vent stud.
Wish me luck.

Added on 10/30/2009:

Here's a picture of the finished job:

"Exceptional Engineering is easily outdone by the Exceptional Idiot"
-Looking for any 6/67-
Scouterjan
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Scouterjan »

Brian, I to was having a hard time finding a brass bolt about 5/16 th. but I discovered the toilet tank hold down bolts, they work great
Jan

Mitakiuye Oyasin " All My Relations"
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

Updated on 10-30-2009!

Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s